STORY SUNDAY #1

>> August 31, 2008

Fell In Love..

“Oops not again..” I checked my watch again as if that would make the time go slower. I knew the bus would have gone. To confirm it, I got a message from Sonam “bus came ...wru”.
I had an onsite call at 8.30. As usual I called the only person I think of, whenever I am in trouble.” Hello.. Tell me”’ that was his sleepy voice. I didn’t know whether I should ask him to drop me to office now. He had started from office at 12 the previous night. I was still thinking all this when he asked “Are u in the bus?” “No I missed it by 2 minutes “as if missing it by 2 minutes was good enough. “Ok I will pick u up in 20 minutes” “but u came so late yesterday, u sleep. I will go by auto.” “No. I have some work and I am hungry.. Didn’t have anything properly yesterday night”
I reached office well in time to have breakfast. After call I had little work. And I found out the so called work for Rahul was sleeping at my desk till he got a call from his PM. That was Rahul.. Full of fun, my best friend. Friends for almost a year, there was little we didn’t know about each other. It is said that girls share every little secret with their best friends. Rahul was patient enough to hear all the gossip and my jealous stories about other girls. (In turn I had to listen to his sports and tech stuff and his comments about girls (beautiful according to his dictionary)).

We all were looking for pongal holidays, which meant pongal and sugarcane instead of pizza and coffee. I was looking forward to seeing all my cousins. I enjoyed those 5 days more than what I expected. On the first day it took me around midnight to realize I needed some sleep. When I checked my mobile before sleeping, it had 15 messages from Rahul. I felt happy and guilty for not seeing them before. I called him and we talked for 2 hours. Next day my brother asked me “were u on phone the whole night” “no only for some time and it was Rahul”. I don’t know y all the brothers are so protective about their sisters. My brother didn’t like the reply “Who ever it was… what’s the need for u to talk at such an odd hour.” My mom came to my support and asked my brother not ask any more questions to me. On the day when I had to leave, my mom was packing snacks for me when she said “I know u and Rahul are good friends but take care others don’t mistake it”.I didn’t expect this from her, I asked her “what do u think?” “It doesn’t matter what I think, u can’t go and explain it to everyone” .there was something in her voice which made me promise her that we were good friends and there was nothing to worry about.

I wanted to tell Rahul all this. After office v went to ice cream parlor. I was telling him everything I did for d past 5 days. When I asked him what he did. He replied “I fell in love with u” I thought it was one of his jokes. He told me to think properly and give him an answer the next day. Later in the night I was in bed trying to sleep but mind was full of what Rahul had told me. From the time he had left me in parlor, he had messaged me telling me about his love for me. I knew Rahul will also be awake. For some reason I didn’t want to talk to him now. I was sure if Rahul was in love with some other girl, I would be the first one to help him in every possible way. But the girl being me was something which I was not able to cope up with.
I don’t know when I slept. I had his photo beside me when I slept. My best friend wanted to be my lover.
Rahul was waiting for me in Food Court. My mind was saying NO and my heart said YES. He gave me a chocolate and asked me what my decision was. It was my heart which replied first leaving the mind to rest for some time. “Yes” that’s what came out of my mouth. That day was my happiest day. Everything changed after that day. Each and every second I was thinking about him. It was so wonderful to be in love. We treasured every moment we spend together.
I could say I got my first heart attack or it stopped working when my dad told me they had seen a guy for me. They wanted me to come home during the weekend to meet the guy and his family. I discussed this with Rahul and we decided I should tell my parents about him. We took leave on Friday and visited all the temples we could (I was appearing for an exam after many years). I boarded my bus with a smile on my face and told him I will surely convince my parents.
My results were declared the next second I came out with the answer.” he is from a different caste. U can’t marry him”. I was not going to live with his caste but in his heart which didn’t have any caste. But destiny had something else for me.
Dad had a heart attack. I had cried so many times during my childhood for chocolates, dresses and what not. I saw dad crying for the first time in my life. Mom kept telling me how much they loved me and everything they did was for my good. My brother stopped talking to me. At last I had to say “YES” for the guy (I didn’t knew whether It was my heart or mind which said it)
Mom said she will talk to Rahul and explain things. But I wanted to tell it myself. I told him everything over the phone. He told me he will ask his parents to come and talk to my parents. I told him to forget me. He wasn’t ready to hear that. He said he will do anything to marry me. Slowly I started ignoring his calls. I couldn’t think about telling him to forget me. It pained even to think about that. I got engaged and returned to office with invitations to hand over.

I met Rahul in the ice cream parlor. I told him I was getting married to the guy my parents have seen. He said he can’t live without me. I told him I can’t do anything. He shouted at me and left. I knew he cried d whole night. He started ignoring me from that day. The day before my marriage I hid all our photos and gifts in a room in my parents place. I was trying to lock all my old memories. I got married. Rahul never spoke to me after that.

My mobile was ringing. It was Rahul.”hey wake up or u will miss your bus today also”
I thought about the dream I had. Rahul was waiting for me in Food Court. My mind was saying NO and my heart said YES. He asked me whether it was a “YES” or “NO”. My mind replied “NO”. I knew I was breaking his heart. But I didn’t want him to suffer later. If he feels now, I will be there to take care of him. He was my best friend and I wanted him to be there with me for ever as a friend. I hope he soon realizes that all the love stories don’t end in marriage. “I am sorry Rahul”

1 comments:

Tejo September 4, 2008 at 9:21 PM  

Hi Abenaya....
Hope u r doin fine
Story Sunday # 1 was indeed Awesum
Gud work i shd say....

Cheers and Regards

Tejo

Powered By Blogger

  © Blogger templates Inspiration by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP